Analysis for 'Fanhattan'
VideoNuze Podcast #168 - Akamai's New Cloud-Based Ad Insertion; Video Guides Improve With Dijit and FanhattanFriday, February 22, 2013, 9:28 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
I'm pleased to present the 168th edition of the VideoNuze podcast with my weekly partner Colin Dixon of nScreenMedia. Today we start by discussing Akamai's new Ad Integration Services, which enables cloud-based video ad insertion, in partnership with mDialog.
This approach has multiple benefits including improving the user experience which extends view times. Colin notes that recent data from Conviva, for example, shows that a 1% increase in buffering results in 8 minutes of lost viewing time, which in turn means a loss of 2 ad breaks. Conviva estimates in 2012 this adds up to $2.2 billion in lost ad revenue globally, and by 2017, it could be $20 billion. Clearly improving the viewer experience has a significant payoff.
We then transition to talking about improvements in video discovery. Colin shares takeaways from his interview this week with Jeremy Toeman, CEO of Dijit (Next Guide), which recently acquired Miso. And I share observations on the new web version of Fanhattan, which launched in beta yesterday.
Listen in to learn more!
Click here to listen to the podcast (19 minutes, 50 seconds)
Video Research Around the Web
- TiVo Research: Smart TVs Deliver the Fastest Search and Discovery Multichannel News
- Disney Plus mobile app downloads hit nearly 41M, study says CNET
- Ad Execs Plan to Spend More on ESPN, HGTV Multichannel News
- Peak TV Update: Scripted Originals Top 500 in 2019, FX Says The Hollywood Reporter
- 2019’s U.S. TV advertising trends across Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft Venture Beat
- Disney+ Has Gotten 22 Million App Downloads In One Month Tubefilter
- IAB Video Streaming Report: Higher Ad Revenue Growth For OTT Platforms, 'Walled Garden' Concerns Mediapost
- TV Industry Suffers Steepest Drop in Ad Sales Since Recession Bloomberg