Monday, May 2, 2016, 9:36 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Late last week Videology shared Q1 ’16 data from its platform, showing the continued convergence between TV and online video advertising. Videology found that 11% of video campaigns run through its platform used TV data segments to help target online video campaigns. As in the past, the most-used segment was current TV ad schedules, followed by sports viewers and competitors’ TV schedules.
The use of TV audience data has been on an upswing over the past year plus according to Videology. In Q4 ’15, Videology reported that video campaigns using TV audience data had increased by 114% year-over-year. No doubt this was off a very small base as the whole concept of using TV viewing data is still relatively early stage.
But as viewers’ behavior with multiple screens continues to converge, advertisers are clearly showing how they’re adapting their targeting strategies. Videology’s Founder and CEO Scott Ferber observed, “Connecting TV and digital viewing behaviors allows marketers to reach their audience holistically and drive ROI with converged strategies that reduce waste and drive efficient spending.”
Once again, Videology found that the most used targeting data was demographic, which was used in all campaigns, followed by behavioral (58% of campaigns), geographic (40%) and postal (21%).
Viewability continues to increase in importance as a campaign objective, with 52% of campaigns citing Viewable Rate, followed by view-through rate (48%) and click-through rate (38%). 88% of advertisers choosing viewability as their key objective relied on the MRC standard of 50% of pixels on screen for at least two seconds.
Also noteworthy was the increase in multi-screen campaigns, which jumped to 60% in Q1 ’16, up from 46% in Q1 ’15. Desktop and mobile combined campaigns increased from 10% to 24% over the year, while desktop-only campaigns suffered the biggest decline, down from 40% of campaigns in Q1 ’15 to just 12% in Q1 ’16.
An infographic with all of the Q1 ’16 data is available for download here.
(Note: Videology’s Scott Ferber will moderate the opening session at the June 14th VideoNuze Online Video Ad Summit, focusing on the convergence between TV and video. Register now to save and to win a 55-inch TCL 4K Roku TV.)
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Cord Cutters Now Averaging 520GB of Monthly Data Usage: Research Report Multichannel News
- Connected TV advertising to hit $7 billion this year AdAge
- IAB: video driving all-time high in digital ad spend The Drum
- 46% Of U.S. Broadband Households Now Subscribe To Multiple OTT Services Mediapost
- Survey: Streamers Now Access Two-Third of Their Video Online Multichannel News
- 'Platform Surfing': 74% Of Connected Device/Smart TV Users Stream; 44% Switch Between Streaming, Linear TV Mediapost
- Netflix Extends Lead in U.K. Amid Boom in Subscription Streaming Services Variety
- YouTube Videos Featuring Young Children Get Triple The Views Of Videos That Don’t (Study) Tubefilter