Wednesday, August 1, 2018, 3:09 PM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Extreme Reach has released its Q2 ’18 Video Advertising Benchmarks report, further supporting the rise of connected TV viewing. In the quarter, CTV accounted for 38% of ad impressions, more than double their share of 18% in Q2 ’17. Mobile followed with a 30% share, down slightly from a 33% share in Q2 ’17. Desktop and table both slumped further, with the former dropping from 35% to 23% and the latter dropping from 15% to 9%.
No surprise, CTV also had the highest completion rate at 94%, vs. 83% for tablet and 75% for both mobile and desktop.
Average completion rates across all devices reached 83%, a new high, and up from 73% a year ago. Premium content had a 92% completion rate, compared to media aggregators which had a 67% completion rate. 30-second ads had an 86% completion rate, compared to 82% for 6-second ads and 79% for 15-seconds ads.
CTV gains reflect the broader adoption of CTVs, the increased usage of them and the proliferation of ad-supported apps in CTV (including skinny bundles) that are gaining more viewing time vs. ad-free SVOD services.
Viewability also hit a new high of 67% across all devices, up from 61% a year ago and 62% in Q1 ’18. Premium content had an 86% view ability rate compared to 61% for media aggregators.
The report’s data is drawn from video ads served from the Extreme Reach platform. The full report can be downloaded here.
Companies: Extreme Reach
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Number Of TV Channels Received By U.S. Households Falls Dramatically Mediapost
- Average U.S. Broadband Consumer's Monthly Data Use Surged 27% in 2019 to 340 GB Multichannel News
- Half of U.S. Consumers Say Disney Plus Is ‘As Good As’ Netflix Variety
- Disney+ Sees Sharply Rising Purchase Intent, Other Streamers Virtually Flat Mediapost
- TiVo Research: Smart TVs Deliver the Fastest Search and Discovery Multichannel News
- Disney Plus mobile app downloads hit nearly 41M, study says CNET
- Ad Execs Plan to Spend More on ESPN, HGTV Multichannel News
- Peak TV Update: Scripted Originals Top 500 in 2019, FX Says The Hollywood Reporter