Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 11:20 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Ooyala has released its Q4 ’15 Global Video Index, finding that mobile video now accounts for 46% of views. That’s up slightly from the 45% Ooyala reported in Q3 ’15 and 44% it reported in Q2 ’15, suggesting that mobile viewing share may be starting to plateau. Smartphones still dominate mobile viewing, driving 6x the share of tablets. For the second quarter in a row, 69% of all videos watched on smartphones were under 10 minutes.
Connected TV devices continued to take the lion’s share of longer form viewing, with 74% share of videos longer than 10 minutes, up from 43% in Q1 ’15.
Ooyala also broke out Asia Pacific trends for Q4, finding similar patterns. Mobile viewing accounted for 43% of views with 5 countries above average: Singapore (55%), Australia (53%), Japan (50%), Indonesia (49%) and South Korea (47%).
Tablets are also stronger in APAC, with smartphones only getting 3.7x the share of tablets. Smartphones have a higher share of videos longer than 10 minutes, with 55%, while desktops led for videos shorter than 6 minutes, with 54% share.
Separate, Ooyala also provided an update on programmatic advertising, finding that in its footprint, pre-arranged programmatic transactions increased by 160% in Q4. Ooyala had 114 publishers offering programmatic marketplaces, up from 94 in Q3 ’15, with CPMs up 26% in the 4th quarter.
As always, Ooyala’s quarterly report is based on anonymized data from most of the company’s 500+ customers.
The full report is available as a complimentary download here.
Categories: Mobile Video
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Time Spent Streaming Spiked 20% Worldwide This Past Weekend Bloomberg
- Number Of TV Channels Received By U.S. Households Falls Dramatically Mediapost
- Average U.S. Broadband Consumer's Monthly Data Use Surged 27% in 2019 to 340 GB Multichannel News
- Half of U.S. Consumers Say Disney Plus Is ‘As Good As’ Netflix Variety
- Disney+ Sees Sharply Rising Purchase Intent, Other Streamers Virtually Flat Mediapost
- TiVo Research: Smart TVs Deliver the Fastest Search and Discovery Multichannel News
- Disney Plus mobile app downloads hit nearly 41M, study says CNET
- Ad Execs Plan to Spend More on ESPN, HGTV Multichannel News