Thursday, September 19, 2013, 4:08 PM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Nielsen released additional data from its Q2 2013 Cross Platform report substantiating the trend toward "binge-viewing." Nielsen found that a whopping 88% of Netflix users and 70% of Hulu Plus users say they watch 3 or more episodes of the same show in one day.
The Nielsen data is directionally in line with survey results that Piksel released last week showing 94% of respondents engage in some type of binge-viewing behavior, either watching episodes together as quickly as possible, watching 1 or 2 every few days, or some combination of the two behaviors.
Binge-viewing is part of a larger trend toward on-demand viewing, which Nielsen notes is growing strongly. Over half (52%) of 18-34 year-olds and 42% of 50+ year-olds watched a movie on-demand. Meanwhile, 51% of 50+ year-olds time-shifted a general drama TV show, with 40% of 18-34 year-olds doing the same. The data underscores how on-demand viewing is becoming a mainstream trend.
Even with all the growth in on-demand and binge-viewing, good old live TV continues to dominate viewing. Average time spent per day watching live TV in Q2 2013 was 4 hours, 19 minutes, off by just 4 minutes from Q2 2009, and actually up a minute from Q2 2012. A reminder that as much as times are changing, it's evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Netflix Extends Lead in U.K. Amid Boom in Subscription Streaming Services Variety
- YouTube Videos Featuring Young Children Get Triple The Views Of Videos That Don’t (Study) Tubefilter
- Roku and Amazon Now Control Nearly 70% of U.S. Streaming Media Player Market Multichannel News
- Americans Want to Pay $21 for All Their Streaming Services Combined, Poll Finds The Hollywood Reporter
- TV Long View: The Mind-Blowing Amount of Time Americans Spend Watching TV The Hollywood Reporter
- Targeted Video Ads Jump 48% In 1st Quarter: Freewheel B&C
- Roku Commands 15% Of All Media Streaming Devices Mediapost
- Cord-Cutters Show Interest in Discovery Channel: Survey Multichannel News