Analysis for 'Skinny Bundles'
Thursday, March 16, 2017, 11:16 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
As of year-end 2016, 22% of the 100 million U.S. homes that subscribe to broadband did not also subscribe to a pay-TV service. That’s up from 9% of the 85 million U.S. homes that subscribed to broadband but did not also subscribe to a pay-TV service in 2011. Over the course of 2016 alone, the rate of broadband homes subscribing to pay-TV declined from 82% to 78%, resulting in 22 million broadband homes without pay-TV at the end of last year, compared with 8 million in 2011.
The data comes from a new report from The Diffusion Group, “Life Without Legacy Pay-TV: A Profile of U.S. Cord Cutters and Cord Nevers” that has just been published.
Companies: The Diffusion Group
Thursday, September 15, 2016, 11:53 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
New research from consulting firm Altman Vilandrie & Company highlights the major challenges that current and pending “skinny bundles” face. Skinny bundles - which are scaled down, customized and less expensive groups of TV networks - have become a hot industry topic, and are perceived as valuable in pulling cord-cutters and cord-nevers back into the pay-TV ecosystem.
But AV&Co.’s 7th annual consumer video survey, which is the most extensive research that I’ve seen yet into the prospects for skinny bundles, paints a picture of how narrow the opportunity may in fact be. VideoNuze readers know that I’ve been very skeptical of skinny bundles, whether from Sling TV, PlayStation Vue or soon Hulu and DirecTV Now. The AV&Co. research largely confirms my concerns (see here and here).
Companies: Altman Vilandrie
Video Research Around the Web
- Study: Most Virtual MVPD Subs Pleased With Value Multichannel News
- OTT Growth Helped By Connected TV Mediapost
- TV sets are starting to disappear from American homes Recode
- Videology Q2 2017 Report Finds Advanced TV Ad Spending Grew 150% Quarter Over Quarter Press Release
- eMarketer’s 2017 forecast puts Roku ahead of Chromecast and others in the U.S. TechCrunch
- C3 Viewership Decline Steepens; Down Double Digits In Q2 Mediapost
- Analyst Sees 31M Homes Cutting Cord in Decade B&C
- Strong TV Upfront Gains, Revenues Hit $19.7B Mediapost