VideoNuze-TDG Report Podcast #149 - zeebox Comes to the U.S.; Connected TVs Now Top Screen for StreamingFriday, September 28, 2012, 7:19 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Colin Dixon, senior partner at The Diffusion Group and I are back for the 149th edition of the VideoNuze-TDG Report podcast. This week Colin kicks things off discussing zeebox's entry into the U.S. market, plus its new partnerships with Comcast, NBCU and HBO. Colin has used zeebox in the U.K. (where it has over 1.5 million users) and has been very impressed. zeebox falls into the general category of "second screen apps" but Colin notes its current focus on live TV was likely the hook for its new partners. With a sizable segment of viewers having shifted their viewing to on-demand, an app that helps drive some back to live would have lots of positives for TV networks.
We then shift to discuss new research released by NPD Group this week that 45% of consumers reported the TV as the main screen for viewing online video, up from 33% a year ago. Those identifying the PC as the main screen dropped from 48% to 31%. As I explain, this is noteworthy because it shows how online video is in fact moving to the living room, becoming a more mainstream behavior. As online video finds itself on more of an even footing with traditional TV, it raises the stakes for cord-cutting and shaving, along with shifting ad dollars from TV to online video.
Listen in to learn more!
Click here to listen to the podcast (20 minutes, 31 seconds)
Video Research Around the Web
- Shorter TV Ads Command More Viewer Attention Mediapost
- YouTube To Net $3.4 Billion In U.S. Ad Revenues This Year (Study) Tubefilter
- Netflix Eats Up 15% of All Internet Downstream Traffic Worldwide (Study) Variety
- Magna: OTT Will Reach $2 Billion In 2018 AdExchanger
- Amazon becoming 3rd-biggest digital ad platform Axios
- YouTube: TV Screen Viewing Up 45% Multichannel News
- C3 Primetime Ratings Dropped 12% During August Multichannel News
- 35% Of Millennials and 42% Of Gen Z Share Their Streaming Service Passwords Tubefilter