Friday, March 22, 2013, 10:06 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
I'm pleased to present the 172nd edition of the VideoNuze podcast with my weekly partner Colin Dixon of nScreenMedia. This week we first discuss Google Fiber, which Google announced this past Tuesday would roll out to a second city, Olathe, KS. Nonetheless, as we discuss, it still feels like Google Fiber is a hobby for Google, though its executives recently asserted otherwise. Neither Colin nor I quite understand what Google Fiber's actual market impact or game plan is, and we are skeptical that there's a business case to support its broader rollout.
We then turn our attention to another Google-related item, which is that YouTube announced this week it is now attracting 1 billion visitors/month, even as (according to my analysis), its U.S. online-only traffic has dropped by 32% year-over-year. But, because comScore doesn't measure mobile access, this isn't an accurate portrayal of YouTube's reach, which is clearly expanding. Colin has further data that adds color to the situation.
Separate, Colin has released his excellent new white paper, "Second-Screen Apps for TV" (free download here)
And a reminder to sign up for "Sizing Up Apple TV" a free video webinar on April 2nd featuring Brightcove's Jeremy Allaire and me.
Listen in to learn more!
(update - the correct pronunciation of Olathe, KS is "O lay the" (thanks Frank Hughes!).
Click here to listen to the podcast (18 minutes, 57 seconds)
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Roku Dominates Streaming Media Device Market Home Media
- Millennials Skip Online Video Ads, Find Mobile Ads Irrelevant Mediapost
- Binge Boom: Young U.S. Viewers Gulp Down Average of 6 TV Episodes per Sitting Variety
- Top Cable Operators Dominate Broadband in 2016 Multichannel News
- Netflix’s Latest Streaming Record: Members Viewed 250 Million Hours of Video on a Single Day in January Variety
- Top U.S. Pay TV Providers Lost 795K Subs in 2016: LRG Multichannel News
- Netflix and Amazon strongly favored over local SVOD platforms in Germany and India, survey says Fierce Cable
- Total U.S. MVPD Revs Up, OTT Rising Faster Mediapost