Friday, March 22, 2013, 10:06 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
I'm pleased to present the 172nd edition of the VideoNuze podcast with my weekly partner Colin Dixon of nScreenMedia. This week we first discuss Google Fiber, which Google announced this past Tuesday would roll out to a second city, Olathe, KS. Nonetheless, as we discuss, it still feels like Google Fiber is a hobby for Google, though its executives recently asserted otherwise. Neither Colin nor I quite understand what Google Fiber's actual market impact or game plan is, and we are skeptical that there's a business case to support its broader rollout.
We then turn our attention to another Google-related item, which is that YouTube announced this week it is now attracting 1 billion visitors/month, even as (according to my analysis), its U.S. online-only traffic has dropped by 32% year-over-year. But, because comScore doesn't measure mobile access, this isn't an accurate portrayal of YouTube's reach, which is clearly expanding. Colin has further data that adds color to the situation.
Separate, Colin has released his excellent new white paper, "Second-Screen Apps for TV" (free download here)
And a reminder to sign up for "Sizing Up Apple TV" a free video webinar on April 2nd featuring Brightcove's Jeremy Allaire and me.
Listen in to learn more!
(update - the correct pronunciation of Olathe, KS is "O lay the" (thanks Frank Hughes!).
Click here to listen to the podcast (18 minutes, 57 seconds)
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Study: 85% of Internet Users Surf While Watching TV Multichannel News
- Report: 4K Ultra HD Last Lifeline for Pay-TV Set-Top Box Home Media Magazine
- ABC Study Makes the Best Case Yet That TV Advertising Is Still Superior to Digital Adweek
- Parks: Roku Retains Top Position in Domestic Streaming Media Device Market Home Media Magazine
- CSG: Viewers 'Streaming' to Online Options Multichannel News
- Authenticity Overtakes Aspirations In Online Video Ads Mediapost
- Snapchat User 'Stories' Fuel 10 Billion Daily Video Views Bloomberg
- Broadcast Content Key To OTT Provider Success Mediapost