VideoNuze Podcast #168 - Akamai's New Cloud-Based Ad Insertion; Video Guides Improve With Dijit and FanhattanFriday, February 22, 2013, 9:28 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
I'm pleased to present the 168th edition of the VideoNuze podcast with my weekly partner Colin Dixon of nScreenMedia. Today we start by discussing Akamai's new Ad Integration Services, which enables cloud-based video ad insertion, in partnership with mDialog.
This approach has multiple benefits including improving the user experience which extends view times. Colin notes that recent data from Conviva, for example, shows that a 1% increase in buffering results in 8 minutes of lost viewing time, which in turn means a loss of 2 ad breaks. Conviva estimates in 2012 this adds up to $2.2 billion in lost ad revenue globally, and by 2017, it could be $20 billion. Clearly improving the viewer experience has a significant payoff.
We then transition to talking about improvements in video discovery. Colin shares takeaways from his interview this week with Jeremy Toeman, CEO of Dijit (Next Guide), which recently acquired Miso. And I share observations on the new web version of Fanhattan, which launched in beta yesterday.
Listen in to learn more!
Click here to listen to the podcast (19 minutes, 50 seconds)
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Millennials Still Watch New TV Shows, Just Much Later And On Hulu Instead Of Live TV Tubefilter
- Following The Launch Of Its Ad-Free Tier, Hulu Breaks Into The Top 10 Apps By Revenue TechCrunch
- More than half of Americans now watch Netflix Quartz
- AOL survey: Most brands are bringing programmatic video buying in-house Digiday
- TV-Connected Devices Bring Consumers Together in the Living Room Nielsen blog
- TV Consumers Complain Of Too Many TV Apps Mediapost
- Millennials don't actually watch the news Tech Insider
- Netflix Dominating SVOD Down Under Home Media Magazine