VideoNuze Podcast #168 - Akamai's New Cloud-Based Ad Insertion; Video Guides Improve With Dijit and FanhattanFriday, February 22, 2013, 9:28 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
I'm pleased to present the 168th edition of the VideoNuze podcast with my weekly partner Colin Dixon of nScreenMedia. Today we start by discussing Akamai's new Ad Integration Services, which enables cloud-based video ad insertion, in partnership with mDialog.
This approach has multiple benefits including improving the user experience which extends view times. Colin notes that recent data from Conviva, for example, shows that a 1% increase in buffering results in 8 minutes of lost viewing time, which in turn means a loss of 2 ad breaks. Conviva estimates in 2012 this adds up to $2.2 billion in lost ad revenue globally, and by 2017, it could be $20 billion. Clearly improving the viewer experience has a significant payoff.
We then transition to talking about improvements in video discovery. Colin shares takeaways from his interview this week with Jeremy Toeman, CEO of Dijit (Next Guide), which recently acquired Miso. And I share observations on the new web version of Fanhattan, which launched in beta yesterday.
Listen in to learn more!
Click here to listen to the podcast (19 minutes, 50 seconds)
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Study: 85% of Internet Users Surf While Watching TV Multichannel News
- Report: 4K Ultra HD Last Lifeline for Pay-TV Set-Top Box Home Media Magazine
- ABC Study Makes the Best Case Yet That TV Advertising Is Still Superior to Digital Adweek
- Parks: Roku Retains Top Position in Domestic Streaming Media Device Market Home Media Magazine
- CSG: Viewers 'Streaming' to Online Options Multichannel News
- Authenticity Overtakes Aspirations In Online Video Ads Mediapost
- Snapchat User 'Stories' Fuel 10 Billion Daily Video Views Bloomberg
- Broadcast Content Key To OTT Provider Success Mediapost