VideoNuze Podcast #168 - Akamai's New Cloud-Based Ad Insertion; Video Guides Improve With Dijit and FanhattanFriday, February 22, 2013, 9:28 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
I'm pleased to present the 168th edition of the VideoNuze podcast with my weekly partner Colin Dixon of nScreenMedia. Today we start by discussing Akamai's new Ad Integration Services, which enables cloud-based video ad insertion, in partnership with mDialog.
This approach has multiple benefits including improving the user experience which extends view times. Colin notes that recent data from Conviva, for example, shows that a 1% increase in buffering results in 8 minutes of lost viewing time, which in turn means a loss of 2 ad breaks. Conviva estimates in 2012 this adds up to $2.2 billion in lost ad revenue globally, and by 2017, it could be $20 billion. Clearly improving the viewer experience has a significant payoff.
We then transition to talking about improvements in video discovery. Colin shares takeaways from his interview this week with Jeremy Toeman, CEO of Dijit (Next Guide), which recently acquired Miso. And I share observations on the new web version of Fanhattan, which launched in beta yesterday.
Listen in to learn more!
Click here to listen to the podcast (19 minutes, 50 seconds)
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- TV's Looming Threat: 'Cord-Nevers' WSJ
- eMarketer: 200M OTT video service users by 2019. Could it be higher? nScreenMedia
- Magna Global: Programmatic Will Eat Half Of Display And Video Ad Budgets By 2019 AdExchanger
- Netflix and Amazon content spend to hit US$9bn Digital TV Europe
- When Do Viewers Commit to TV Shows? Netflix Reveals Data WSJ
- Digital-Video Use Increases In All Parts of Day - Nielsen Variety
- Brands Using Video Grow Revenue Faster, Study Says Mediapost
- Study: Most Millennials Don't Want to Cut The Cord Multichannel News