Thursday, November 10, 2011, 9:24 AM ET|Posted by Will RichmondTaboola's video recommendation widget is now placed on pages of content publisher web sites reaching over 64 million U.S. unique users per month, according to Quantcast data. Adam Singolda, Taboola's CEO explained that the 64 million amount means Taboola's exposure is ahead of the uniques at popular sites like Bing, Pandora and CNET, and just behind Twitter, Wikipedia and Amazon, again, according to Quantcast data (see chart below).
Admittedly, it's a little bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison, because the other sites are destinations, whereas Taboola's model is to place its widget (which typically contains 4-5 thumbnail images of recommended videos) on the sites of 3rd-party content publishers, such as NY Times, Bloomberg, USAToday and others. Still, the 64 million means that Taboola's video recommendations widget is clearly being accepted by more publishers, who are implementing it on more well-trafficked pages of their sites.
Taboola's widget can provide recommendations of the content providers' own videos and/or those of other providers. Results are based on Taboola's "EngageRank" analysis of the user's behaviors (with both video and text content) plus the video's individual characteristics. In the past Adam has told me that in side-by-side testing with alternative recommendation approaches, Taboola has achieved 250% higher views. Video discovery and recommendations are a critical part of the ecosystem since number of views directly translates into higher monetization. As Taboola's distribution success is showing, solutions that work are in strong demand.
Related Research Coverage
See additional research »
Video Research Around the Web
- Study: 85% of Internet Users Surf While Watching TV Multichannel News
- Report: 4K Ultra HD Last Lifeline for Pay-TV Set-Top Box Home Media Magazine
- ABC Study Makes the Best Case Yet That TV Advertising Is Still Superior to Digital Adweek
- Parks: Roku Retains Top Position in Domestic Streaming Media Device Market Home Media Magazine
- CSG: Viewers 'Streaming' to Online Options Multichannel News
- Authenticity Overtakes Aspirations In Online Video Ads Mediapost
- Snapchat User 'Stories' Fuel 10 Billion Daily Video Views Bloomberg
- Broadcast Content Key To OTT Provider Success Mediapost