Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 10:11 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
A new study from research firm SmithGeiger and Net2TV has found that just 18% of 18-34 year-olds’ video viewing time is now spent with traditional broadcast and cable TV. Fully 61% of their viewing has shifted to digital devices. For 35-44 year-olds, 27% of total video viewing is on traditional broadcast and cable TV. The data is the latest in a well-documented trend toward viewership fragmentation driven by OTT services and the proliferation of digital devices.
The study also confirms a strong correlation between screen size and time viewed. For smartphones, the median length of a video watched was 2 minutes, 13 seconds, while for tablets it was 6 minutes, 39 seconds, for desktop 9 minutes, 23 seconds, and for connected TVs it was 41 minutes, 32 seconds.
No surprise, viewers are also watching TV in a variety of different ways. The study found that 34% of viewers are binge-viewing, 31% are watching via a site like YouTube, Popcorn, Break, etc, 30% are using a DVR and 30% are watching via TV network’s web site. Nearly half of all 18-24 year-olds are doing the first two activities.
The study also found heavy second screen usage while watching TV, with 76% of respondents saying they routinely watch TV with a second screen handy. Of this 63% said they surf the Internet using a computer half the time, 54% do so with a smartphone and 24% with a tablet. 56% are using social media while watching TV and 42% are checking a digital news source while watching.
The study was conducted online June 2-5 among 1,020 18-54 year-olds in the U.S. who watch at least 5 minutes of video per week.
Video Research Around the Web
- 20% of YouTube’s Top Trending Videos of 2017 Are Ads Adweek
- 2017 was the year digital ad spending finally beat TV Recode
- Facebook, Google Leading to Internet Domination of Advertising The Hollywood Reporter
- Video will make up 75 percent of mobile traffic in five years Recode
- Top U.S. Pay TV Providers Lost 405K Subs in Q3: Analyst Multichannel News
- People watch Netflix unabashedly at work (and in public toilets, too) Quartz
- Streaming Tech Reaches Third Of Universe, Eroding 'Traditional TV' Viewing Mediapost
- NPD: 57% of Smartphone Users Stream Video Home Media