Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:20 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Online video advertising is still relatively new, so understanding its exact impact on critical brand metrics is not yet entirely clear. To better understand the correlations between frequency and impact, YuMe recently conducted a study using Kantar Milward Brown’s MarketNorms data and select video ad campaigns that ran in Q1 2017.
Not so surprisingly, at a high level, YuMe found that as viewers experienced more video ad exposures, all brand metrics improved. These metrics include aided awareness, online ad awareness, message association, brand favorability and purchase intent.
In fact, YuMe found that 8+ exposures yielded the most lift in these brand metrics, with one exception, message association, which peaked at 5-7 exposures. However, at 9 exposures, purchase intent, message association and brand favorability metrics plateau, which the research attributed to viewer burnout.
YuMe also found that 30-second ads have a greater impact on purchase intent than 15-second ads. The research also looked at 4 different verticals: Automotive, CPG, Entertainment and Finance, breaking out frequency and impact findings for each one.
One of the key reasons for understanding the correlation between frequency and impact is that viewers have more control than ever with online video to avoid, skip and block ads altogether. This in turn raises the bar on advertisers to find the balance between getting their messages through but not overly disrupting the viewer’s experience.
The research results can be downloaded here.
Video Research Around the Web
- 20% of Broadband Homes Now Get TV Via Antenna DSL Reports
- All ‘Major’ TV Networks to Launch OTT, Direct-to-Consumer Services by 2022: TDG Multichannel News
- How The 300x250 Became The Most Common - And Fraudulent - 'Video' Ad Unit Mediapost
- You can watch Netflix on any screen you want, but you’re probably watching it on a TV Recode
- Move Over, TV: Students Now Distract Themselves From Homework With YouTube, Study Finds Tubefilter
- NBC Triples Live-Streaming Olympics Viewership From 2014 Mediapost
- ESPN Most Valuable Net to Cable Operators: Survey Multichannel News
- Advertisers Tuning Out TV in Sign of Trouble for Media Companies Bloomberg