Wednesday, August 1, 2018, 3:09 PM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Extreme Reach has released its Q2 ’18 Video Advertising Benchmarks report, further supporting the rise of connected TV viewing. In the quarter, CTV accounted for 38% of ad impressions, more than double their share of 18% in Q2 ’17. Mobile followed with a 30% share, down slightly from a 33% share in Q2 ’17. Desktop and table both slumped further, with the former dropping from 35% to 23% and the latter dropping from 15% to 9%.
No surprise, CTV also had the highest completion rate at 94%, vs. 83% for tablet and 75% for both mobile and desktop.
Average completion rates across all devices reached 83%, a new high, and up from 73% a year ago. Premium content had a 92% completion rate, compared to media aggregators which had a 67% completion rate. 30-second ads had an 86% completion rate, compared to 82% for 6-second ads and 79% for 15-seconds ads.
CTV gains reflect the broader adoption of CTVs, the increased usage of them and the proliferation of ad-supported apps in CTV (including skinny bundles) that are gaining more viewing time vs. ad-free SVOD services.
Viewability also hit a new high of 67% across all devices, up from 61% a year ago and 62% in Q1 ’18. Premium content had an 86% view ability rate compared to 61% for media aggregators.
The report’s data is drawn from video ads served from the Extreme Reach platform. The full report can be downloaded here.
Companies: Extreme Reach
Related Research Coverage
Video Research Around the Web
- Connected TV Ad Spend Poised To Hit $8.2 Billion In 2018 Mediapost
- As Netflix surges, original content is the new black. But licensed shows still take the crown LA Times
- YouTube is about to pass Facebook as the second biggest website in US, according to new study CNBC
- Streaming TV consumption more than doubled since last year, report says TechCrunch
- Netflix Is No. 1 Choice for TV Viewing, Beating Broadcast, Cable and YouTube (Study) Variety
- Forecast: Netflix Could Grow To Nearly 90 Million Subs In 12 Years Mediapost
- NBCU Holds Top TV Ad Share For 2017-2018 Season Mediapost
- Study: 85% of U.S. Millennials Subscribe to At Least One OTT Video Service Multichannel News